The direct summand conjecture, Spring 2016
Professor A.J. de Jong,
Department of Mathematics.
Basic setup: we will work backwards through the recent proof
of the direct summand conjecture by Yves Andre. We will follow
the proof as reworked in Bhargav's preprint.
- If you are my graduate student, then please talk to me
about attending this seminar.
- Please email me if you want to be on the associated mailing list.
- The talks will be 2x45 minutes with a short break.
- Time and place: Fridays, 10:30 -- 12:00 in Room 407
- First meeting: Friday, January 27.
List of lectures: TBA
- Friday, January 27. Speaker: Johan de Jong. Statement
and discussion of the direct summand conjecture,
proof in characteristic zero, proof in characteristic p.
Some discussion of the derived direct summand conjecture.
- Friday, February 3. Speaker: Johan de Jong.
Overview of the proof as in the paper by Bhargav.
- Friday, February 10. Speaker: David Hansen.
Introducing perfectoid spaces and almost mathematics.
- Friday, February 17. Speaker: Dmitrii Pirozhkov.
- Friday, February 24. Speaker: Shizhang Li.
The almost faithfully flat thingamabob of Yves Andre.
- Friday, March 3. Speaker: Johan de Jong.
Formal schemes, hensel schemes, a thesis problem, and sheafy adic spaces; or,
how not to give a seminar talk.
- Friday, March 10. No talk.
- Friday, March 17. Spring break.
- Friday, March 24. No talk.
- Friday, March 31. Speaker: Shizhang Li,
Pro-almost-zero or almost-pro-zero, that is the question
- Friday, April 5. Speaker: Michael Harris,
Counting points on compact Shimura varieties, and the trace formula